On My Mind: 2-14-2018

L-R: Aud Johansen, Enid Smeedon, and Audrey Hepburn

Aud - I stumbled upon some photos of Audrey Hepburn during her days as a chorus girl - she was posing on top of a building with some other chorus girls and some ice in a bid to stay cool during a summer day. The other girls were Enid Smeedon and Aud Johansen. I thought Aud's name was especially interesting. Aud is the modern form of Auðr, an old Norse name meaning "wealth, prosperity".

Dulcinea - A gorgeous name, especially for those who like longer, more dramatic options. Dulcinea would be a lovely name for a Valentine's baby - it comes from the Spanish dulce, meaning "sweet", and was invented by Miguel de Cervantes for the love interest of Don Quixote.

Pollux - I was surprised by this name's meaning - "very sweet" - because I don't think I've ever seen a boy's name with a meaning like it. In Greek mythology, Pollux is the twin of Castor, sons of Zeus, and the constellation Gemini is meant to represent them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angourie

Names from the 2022 Winter Olympics

Yara