On My Mind: 4-20-15

Isild Le Besco
Just so people know for further posts - I can't always come up with three names for each gender, so sometimes there may be a few less, as is the case today!

Isild - I came across French actress Isild Le Besco and loved her name. She is Breton, Algerian, Vietnamese, and French. My instincts are telling me it's a form of Isolde, via it's (possible) original form Ishild, meaning "ice battle". She also has a sister who is an actress and a director named Maïwenn, a brother named Jowan, and half-siblings Kolia Litscher (m), and Léonor Graser.

Spyridon - A couple have been battling over the name of their baby, so they took the internet for help. The father wants Spyridon, the name of his father, and she wants Michael, the name of her father. So now he has a petition, hoping that he can win her over. Which would you pick?

Enya - The Irish singer, who contributed music to "The Fellowship of the Ring", was born Eithne Ní Bhraonáin, but is anglicized as Enya Brennan. Eithne, the original form, means "kernel" and was a Saint, the sister of Saint Fidelma. Her siblings are: Máire "Moya", Pól, Brídín, Olive, Ciarán, Deirdre, Leon, and Bartley Brennan.

Avery - I've been watching the last few episodes of "Justified" with my parents, and Sam Elliott is playing a character named Avery Markham. I guess I've never really given any thought to the name Avery, on a boy or girl, so I was surprised by how much I liked it. It seems surprisingly cool on a guy.

Arianwen - Another actress with an unusual name is Arianwen Parkes-Lockwood. While the actress is Australian, the name is all Welsh. It's a combination of arian, "silver", and gwen, which can mean "white", "fair", or "blessed". There was also a very early Saint Arianwen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angourie

Names from the 2022 Winter Olympics

Yara